Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Successful Smoothie

Yesterday I decided to make my own homemade smoothie. I had tried Yoplait's smoothie mix a few months ago and I found out I liked Banana Strawberry Smoothies! But I wanted to see if I could make a healthier, more organic, less sugary version. I sliced a banana and cut 2/3 cup of strawberries in halves and put them in a freezer bag. Then I took plain Greek yogurt and divided it into an ice cube tray (once frozen I used 8 cubes). I blended the three frozen ingredients along with 3/4 cup of organic skim milk.  It tasted a little bitter so I added maybe a tsp of organic sugar, but it didn't change the bitterness. I didn't want to add more sugar so I drank it as it was. I really liked it, but it did have a bit of a bitter taste or after taste to it. We are thinking it's the Greek yogurt we are tasting....

What do you think? Any suggestions on how to make the smoothie more sweet without packing it with sugar? Do you think going with a flavored Greek yogurt would make a difference?

Spent about 65 minutes on the elliptical machine. Burned 700 calories! 700 calories left to go! Have you worked out yet today?

2 comments:

  1. I had plain organic yogurt last week and just about puked! It was terrible, and I even added some yummy raspberries to it. You might want to try flavored. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to know you had a similar experience with plain organic yogurt! I'm going grocery shopping today so I think I'll pick up Vanilla flavored organic yogurt and see if that changes the smoothie for the better!

    Have you tried other organic yogurt and liked it?

    ReplyDelete