Friday, May 6, 2011

Successful Grocery Shopping and More....

Nora and I went grocery shopping yesterday and I was pretty excited because Hy Vee had everything in the Health Mart 10% off - I stocked up on my favorites: Back to Nature Organic Mac & Cheese, Back to Nature Chocolate Chip Cookies,and Bob's Red Mill Steel Cut Oats!

Before I go grocery shopping I always make a list so I'm not wandering the isles wondering what looks good. It helps me get everything I need and avoid getting too many of the things I don't need. I usually plan to get my usuals: string cheese, bread, peanut butter, milk, etc. And then I plan on at least 2 recipes I want to make over the next week and get all the ingredients I need. Chili and Stromboli this week! I also got lots of fruit: cantaloupe, watermelon, bananas, and strawberries.

When I got home from the grocery store I got every thing unpacked and started chopping up the fruit. I got some really cute containers from Target yesterday so I was excited to get the watermelon and cantaloupe cut up and in the containers right away. It's great having fresh fruit ready to eat in the refrigerator. Then, when you are looking for something quick to snack on you've got something healthy ready to go.

I cut up the strawberries and a few bananas and divided them into 3 freezer bags. I also got Greek yogurt and divided it up in an ice cube tray. When my cantaloupe and watermelon are gone, I can make Strawberry Banana Smoothies!

After I did all that I got dinner started. To be completely honest - I am not a cook and usually we don't sit down to a nice meal very often. And when we do, my husband usually does the cooking - such a good husband! Every once in a while I would make a nice well rounded meal, but I usually batch make things and we just reheat and eat - which is nice for when we are busy! But tonight I made whole wheat spaghetti with pasta sauce, steamed broccoli (bird's eye steamfresh), watermelon, and garlic bread sticks. I finished it off with a little red wine - Shiraz - my favorite! And the great thing is - It was all on the table ready for my husband when he came home! I felt like such a wonderful wife!

We sat at the table eating dinner as a family, feeding Nora her baby food while we ate! It was awesome. I definitely want to do this more often. Probably not pasta, garlic bread sticks, and wine all the time since we know there are a lot of calories there. But a family dinner, at the table, with all the food groups would be a wonderful dinner routine!

Do you make a list when you grocery shopping? Are you the cook in the family? Do you usually have family dinners or dinners on the go?

Burned 900 calories on the elliptical! I reached my goal for the week - now I can relax and enjoy my weekend - March for Babies and my first Mother's Day! How many calories did you burn in your workout today?

No comments:

Post a Comment