Friday, May 13, 2011

Improving Hydration

I am really bad about drinking enough water each day. I probably only drink about 3 cups of water. I know I should be drinking 8 cups every day, but I find it very challenging. Looking back, I have had a history of dehydration that should have prompted me to be better about my drinking habits.

When warm weather hits, I usually find myself low on energy, getting tired more easily, and feeling lightheaded very often. And when I was pregnant I was severely dehydrated, ending up on an IV at urgent care on Christmas Day! For months during my pregnancy my doctors didn't seem too concerned about my hydration since I wasn't vomiting. I am guessing they were assuming, due to my nutrition background, that I was drinking plenty of water (but I wasn't). Finally when my symptoms during pregnancy got worse the doctor demanded I be drinking 8 cups of water! UGH! I didn't know how I was going to do it. And throughout the rest of my pregnancy I never got to 8 cups - usually 6 on a good day.

After the pregnancy I really pushed myself and got myself to drink 8 cups of water. I really had to focus though. If I got distracted I would lose my focus and forget to drink water continuously through the day. Over time I have slipped back into my old ways.

When I started this challenge I was going to drink 8 cups of water along with burning 3500 calories each day. I succeeded for about a week with the water, but then got focused on other more interesting things.

Now that the warm weather is upon us I am going to try to drink more water. I think aiming for 8 cups right now is going to be too hard for me, so I am going to aim for 5 and then work my way up towards 8 slowly! Wish me good luck!

Do you stay well hydrated? What helps you drink more water throughout the day?

Maybe you drink 8 cups of water each day, but you aren't burning 3500 calories each day. Maybe the strategy I am using to get my water intake up, you can use to get your calorie burn up!

Spent 65 minutes on the elliptical again. 700 calories burned! I met my 3500 calorie goal! Still planning on working out during the weekend!

1 comment:

  1. Yesterday's post on my Banana Strawberry Smoothie is missing! I will be trying my hopefully new and improved smoothie next week and will post on the smoothie again. Trying Vanilla Greek Yogurt instead of Plain Greek Yogurt! We'll see if it makes a difference!

    ReplyDelete