Saturday, June 18, 2011

Getting Itchy When I Walk

Over the past few years I have suffered from becoming severely itchy when I go on walks - inside or outside. I could only handle walking below a 3.0 pace in order to not become itchy. It has been such a pain. After walking a short distance my legs, stomach, chest, and arms would get itchy to the point I couldn't walk anymore.

This has been a huge disappointment because when Chris and I met we use to LOVE going on long walks together. We would walk all around Madison or hours. It was fun to just hang out, talk, and walk.

This started a few years ago. I can't really pinpoint the start, but I think it started after I hurt my knee in college. I use to run cross country in high school and continued running in college for the first 2 years. Then I hurt my knee and couldn't exercise. Then I got so busy that I didn't make much time for exercise. I got out of my exercise routine and wasn't finding my way back to it.

We wondered if my itching was related to dry skin, being allergic to something in the air, etc. Name it and we tried to figure out if that was the reason for my itchiness. I could still do step aerobics without getting itchy, but walking (and running) were out of the question. We would try to go on short walks, hoping to build up my tolerance - which did happen to a small degree.

I joined the gym at the beginning of this year and started using the elliptical machine. I wanted to get a good workout in without hurting my knee and was recommended that I stick with the elliptical. Working out almost everyday on the elliptical has been perfect. I feel like I get a great workout in and now I can walk without getting itchy! Crazy, right!? I can go on long walks with my husband and daughter without being miserable. It has been such a blessing! The timing couldn't have been better with wanting to go on walks with my baby girl this summer! So I guess the itchiness was related to my inactivity over the past few years!

I will comment with my workout later today!

1 comment:

  1. Burned 600 calories on the elliptical this morning. 300 more calories to go!

    ReplyDelete