Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Making Jimmy John's For Lunch Healthy

Sometimes it is just easier to run some where and pick up a sandwich for lunch. That's how I felt yesterday, so I ran to Jimmy John's to get a sub. I usually get the vegetarian sub, which is 579 calories. I didn't realize that until I looked it up on their website about 5 minutes go. That seems like a lot of calories for a simple sub. The great thing about their website is that you can add and subtract ingredients from your sandwich. If I just asked for no Mayo my sandwich would about 385 calories! That is so much better! I think I will try next time, saving me 194 calories!

To make your meal even healthier. Skip out on the chips and/or cookie. Instead, grab or pack a banana from home to eat with your sandwich! The chocolate chunk cookie is 420 calories and the Thinny chips are their lowest calorie chips at 130 calories. In general, a banana is about 100 calories, but depending on the size of your banana it could be more. At least the banana is good for you!

Below is a look at the calories for their 6 original sandwiches.

Sandwiches
Calories
#4 Turkey Tom
515
#2 Big John (Roast Beef)
533
#6 Vegetarian
578
#5 Vito (Salami)
600
#1 Pepe (Ham)
614
#3 Totally Tuna
648

The Giant Club Sandwiches are all high in calories. The lowest calorie Giant Club Sandwich is #14 Bootlegger Club at 684 calories and the highest calorie Giant Club Sandwich is #9 Italian Night Club at 948 calories.

The Plain Slims really aren't better for you. The Plain Slim Tuna is actually more calories than the original and the Vito and Slim #5 are the same calories! For the most part, the slims are the original 6 subs without the veggies and dressings. The few veggies you get in the originals are good for you; I wouldn't recommend that you take those away. The dressings on the other hand, you don't always need. So just get an original, and take out the mayo or other dressing and you are probably good to go!

The next time you plan on going to Jimmy John's, check out their nutritional information online first. Educate yourself so you make the best possible decision. Here is a link to their website: http://www.jimmyjohns.com/menu/nutrition.aspx

Also, I made it to the gym today and burned 500 calories on the elliptical. 2340 calories remaining! Have you worked out yet today?

No comments:

Post a Comment