Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Great On-The-Go Snack

Recently, I have rediscovered muffins. If you are grabbing a muffin from a coffee shop or bakery, you are doing yourself a disservice. Most muffins are high in fat and sugar, leaving you with the amount of nutrition you would be getting from a bowl of sugary kid's cereal. The great thing is - muffins don't have to be bad for you! If you make them yourself and use healthy ingredients, you are bound to be making a healthy snack that you can grab out of the refrigerator (heat up in the microwave, if you wish) and go.


The KEYS to making healthy muffins:
Replace the flour in the recipe with: WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR
Replace the oil in the recipe with: UNSWEETENED APPLESAUCE.
Replace the sugar in the recipe with: DATE SUGAR
Replace the eggs in the recipe with: EGG WHITES

Date sugar can be hard to find. I know Bob's Red Mill makes it, but I haven't gotten the chance to get it yet since learning about this great substitution. Dates are full of fiber, potassium, and many other vitamins and minerals. Plus, it is almost half the calories of regular sugar. Dates are 528 calories/cup while regular sugar is 774 calories/cup.

Here is my Zucchini Recipe! I have used all the healthy ingredients listed above with the exception of the date sugar. I used regular organic sugar since I don't have the date sugar yet. But I am excited to try it soon!

Ingredients
2 egg whites
1 tsp vanilla extract
2/3 cup date sugar
1 1/2 cups zucchini, grated and squeezed 
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 1/4 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt
1 1/2 cups of whole wheat flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Combine egg whites, vanilla, sugar. Stir in zucchini. Stir in applesauce. Mix in baking soda and salt.
In a different bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
Stir flour mixture into zucchini mixture.
Divide mixture among 12 muffin cups.
Bake 20 minutes. 

I love having these around for a quick breakfast or snack in the afternoon! They are only 100 calories!

Along with loving this muffin recipe, I loved my morning workout at the gym. I burned 770 calories on the elliptical. I kept going after 500 calories because I didn't want to turn the TV show I was watching off! That makes for a total of 1,930 calories burned so far this week! Did you get to the gym yet today?

And do you have a healthy muffin recipe that you love? Share it with me! I would love to try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment